HMD Global has officially announced its latest smartphone — Nokia G21. Just as the name indicates, the handset is a successor to the Nokia G20 that was released last year. For this new smartphone, the company appears to have focused on three major aspects for improvements — Screen, Camera, and Battery.
The Nokia G21 sports a 6.5-inch HD+ LCD display that supports a 90Hz refresh rate – a first for the G-series. It also has support for adaptive refresh rate which drops to 60Hz in power saving mode.
Under the hood, the device is powered by the Unisoc T606 chipset which is manufactured using a 12nm process. It packs two Cortex-A75 cores and six Cortex-A55 cores along with the Mali G75-MP1 graphics processor.
The phone is packed with 4GB of RAM and comes in two options for internal storage — 64GB and 128GB. It also has a microSD card slot that allows users to further expand the storage capacity on the device.
In the camera department, there’s a triple-camera setup on the back that includes a 50-megapixel primary snapper, a 2-megapixel macro lens, and a 2-megapixel depth sensor. It has support for features like Super Resolution and Night Mode.
The device runs the Android 11 operating system out-of-the-box but the company has confirmed that the phone will get the Android 12 operating system. Not just that, Nokia has also promised two major Android updates, which means that the device will also get the Android 13 update in the future.
It is powered by a 5,050mAh battery which the company is promising can offer up to three days of usage on a single charge and comes with support for 18W fast charging. However, the company is shipping a 10W charger in the box.
Nokia G21 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G bands:
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 – International
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – LATAM
- 4G bands:
- 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41 – International
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 28, 40, 66 – LATAM
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps
- Announced: 2022, February 14
- Status: Exp. release 2022, March 14
- Dimensions: 164.6 x 75.9 x 8.5 mm (6.48 x 2.99 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 190 g (6.70 oz)
- Build: Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back
- Colors: Nordic Blue, Dusk
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD, 90Hz, 400 nits (typ)
- Size: 6.5 inches, 102.0 cm2 (~81.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720 x 1600 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~270 ppi density)
- Android 11
- Chipset: Unisoc T606 (12 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×1.6 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.6 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G57 MP1
- Storage: 64GB 3GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- eMMC 5.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 50 MP, (wide), PDAF
- 2 MP, (macro)
- 2 MP, (depth)
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, (wide)
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes (market/region dependent)
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, proximity
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5050 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast battery charging 18W
- USB Power Delivery 3.0
Nokia G21 Price and Availability
It comes in two different color options — Nordic Blue and Dusk. The smartphone will soon be available for purchase in the European market for the price of €170.